What do I need to be able to sign up?

You may view and download the Welcome Packet, or obtain one from the Finance Department in City Hall, or call (559) 665-8615, ext. 783 to have an application faxed or mailed to you. Once you have completed the application, bring it to the Finance Department, along with the following items: rental/lease agreement or escrow closing statement, a copy of your drivers license, passport with picture ID, or California ID card.

Show All Answers

1. Where do I sign up for City utilities?
2. What do I need to be able to sign up?
3. What do I pay when signing up for services?
4. Where do I pay for City utility services?
5. What type of payments are accepted for City utilities?
6. Is my bill for the current month, past month, or next month?
7. If I fall behind on my bill, will my service be interrupted?
8. My water has been shut off. What do I do now?
9. How do I cancel or make changes to my City utility services?
10. I still need more information on City utility services - where do I look?