The mission of the Chowchilla Volunteer Fire Department is to protect the people and property of Chowchilla from fire danger, hazards, and hazardous conditions. Local volunteers donate their time to educate the citizens on the importance of fire safety. Our department takes a proactive approach in teaching fire prevention in order to help reduce the amount of reactive fire call volume. We visit local elementary schools and pre-schools on an annual basis to provide fire safety training to all students.

Department Structure

The department has 18 active volunteer members with years of service ranging from one year to over 30 years. Currently, our department has an ISO rating of 6. Regular training meetings are held three times monthly and special training sessions are scheduled throughout the year.

Before You Burn

Understand fireplace restrictions and view the Check Before You Burn page provided by the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District.

Volunteer FirefighterFirefighter Fighting Fire

If you are interested in becoming a volunteer firefighter, applications are accepted when openings are available. If you are interested in volunteering and would like information contact the Chowchilla Fire Department by calling 559-665-8626 and Email Fire Chief, Harry Turner.


The Chowchilla Volunteer Fire Department is funded primarily through City general fund revenues. The department also relies on various grant funding sources and the generosity of local individuals and civic service clubs that donate to further the progress of the department.

Through funding from both the Assistance to Firefighters Grant and the Homeland Security Grant through the State's Office of Emergency Services, the Chowchilla Fire Department has been able to provide new turnout gear, portable radios, breathing apparatus and wild land gear for the firefighters.

Our department recently received notification of being awarded a Fire Prevention Grant from FEMA in the amount of $62,000. This grant application was written for the purchase of a fire prevention safety training trailer. The awarded grant pays 95% of the cost with Fire Impact fees covering the remaining 5%.