The Public Works Department is here to serve the community by providing airport, street, solid waste, water, wastewater, and stormwater services. It contributes to the health, well-being, and convenience of citizens, visitors, businesses, and industry by operating and maintaining the City’s streets, drinking water, wastewater, and stormwater systems for long-term service. These responsibilities must be managed cost-effectively as budget guidelines allow while remaining sensitive to the needs of the citizens we so proudly serve.
Department Service Areas
- Chowchilla Municipal Airport
- Municipal Water Service
- Solid Waste
- Storm Water
Important Required Permit Information
An Encroachment Permit is required for any work performed within the public right-of-way. Contact the Community and Economic Development Department at (559) 665-8615, ext. 787, or Email the Community and Economic Development Department.
The City of Chowchilla may find cause to issue an Administrative Citation due to possible municipal code violations. Visit the Administrative Citations page for more information.
City Standards and Specifications
The City of Chowchilla's City Standards and Specifications Drawings are available by clicking the link.
Watering Conservation Update
- Does everyone have to comply with backflow regulations?
- Why is the City responsible for enforcing the rules on backflow since they are State of California’s rules?
- We have been here all these years and never had to do anything about backflow before. Why do I have to do this now?
- Can my home or business be “grandfathered” in for the backflow devices?
- Must my home or business have backflow prevention?
- How would a backflow issue occur with a lawn irrigation system?
- Who do I call to report sidewalk problems, potholes or damaged roadways?
- Why doesn't the City do more complete road repairs rather than simply patching the potholes?
- Who do I contact if a street light needs repair?
- Who is responsible for routine maintenance of sidewalk, curb, gutter and street trees?
- Where do I call to report water leaks or a broken hydrant?
- Who do I call if I have a sewer blockage in the line that is not on my property?
- Where do I report an abandoned vehicle?
- Who do I call about graffiti problems?
- Where do I report illegal trash dumping or fire hazards?